PE at St Matthew's is taught by class teachers and Onside coaching who follow planning guidance from The PE hub. Our children have equal opportunities to take part in a range of sports and physical activities within a supportive environment where effort as well as success is recognised. Children are encouraged to participate in exercise through-out the day during PE lessons, clubs, outdoor learning, lunch provision and special events. KS2 children attend swimming lessons in a local pool.
At St. Matthew’s, we also strive to give as many children as possible the opportunity to compete in a variety of competitions, during school time or by representing the school at local events. We hope that in doing so the children will develop greater confidence, team work and learn to win or lose with grace and sportsmanship.
Our curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils:
· develop their fundamental movement skills
· improve their agility, balance and coordination
· lead and join in PE games with growing confidence, developing their speaking and listening skills
· learn useful PE vocabulary and knowledge to help them in their future
· enjoy fitness and understand the importance of good diet and exercise